Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Good Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste

I'm bored. Having viewed the online job boards already by 9:30 a.m., I am compelled to read the news bits which are full of doom and gloom. Job cuts. Job losses. Recession. Depression.

I'm left with nothing to do but listen to my own thoughts. Thoughts like what if I don't find a job? What happens if I'm here next year, looking at the same companies with the same job ads? How will I support myself? Where will I go? What will I do? (I even went so far as to apply to be trained as a studio photographer. They didn't call...)

I read where enrollments in MBA programs have jumped. I've kicked around the idea. But $100,000 a year for three years-seems like a bad investment for a $70,000 a year job.

I could start my own business. Have kicked around a few ideas, but I've been trying to get my fiction writing career off the ground for 12 years-yeah. Plus if the economy is as bad as they say-anything in retail right now would be a huge risk-who has cash? And after my taste of the freelance graphic artist-who by the way hasn't called me back- I'm not so encouraged by the prospects of freelance writing. Even Doonesbury is writing about the down turn in the journalism market.

Suicide rates are up- I've thought about leaping out the window-but again...there is a portico only two feet down...so, bruised would be as far as that would go. Perhaps the best revenge would be to become a cocoa puffs eating, soap opera watching slob who lives off the ex for the rest of her life?? Tattered bathrobe anyone?

No comments: