Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sigh

I applied for a job yesterday. Got a call from the company recruiter this morning. He went on and on about how perfect I was...except for the fact that I don't have any experience in the actual field- I have everything else. Thank you. He said he was sure I was a fast learner. I am, thank you, and it won't take but a few short weeks to be up to snuff. (They use templates and it would be a matter of learning the terminology. Piece of cake, I've got an engineering background-just not CE.)

Then he went on to say that the guy in the lower position has been there three or four years-and it might be a problem if I supervise coming in without the industry terminology. So, probably I could take the lesser job and learn and quickly move up.

Excuse me? Quickly move up when the last guy has been in the position four years? Oh and by the way, did I mention that the position pays twenty to thirty thousand dollars less a year than the one I applied for?

Then he had the nerve to ask why I hesitated... I explained that I understood the point of view of hating to train your boss-but-I have years of supervisory experience and I don't want to lose it. He tried to convince me that this was a lateral move in a new industry and I could grow from there....what?! I'm not stupid. Why do they think I'm stupid?

Well, the terminology could be a deal breaker...

Just like that I lost the job. Which is fine. It's not the right job for me anyway. So why do I still feel guilty?

No comments: