Monday, October 6, 2008

Nice girls finish last

I got up at 5 a.m. this morning for the "recruiter" job interview- traveled 1.5 hours by train-schlepped 14 city blocks in great shoes I might add- new- four inch chunky heel- met with the recruiter for the promising six figure job....

Her words after looking over my stuff-"Well...you don't have any agency experience."....duh...

But you clearly have a lot of writing and marketing skills. Let's get another opinion. She called in another woman who looked over my stuff-
Then basically second lady said- "You don't have any agency experience"-now I didn't need to go all the way downtown for that- then I find out said six figure job is actually a strategic marketing job for pharmaceuticals...not in the job description by the by...

Then they get all patronizing and condescending that I have published eight fiction novels. "Oh, you write books." Pat, pat. "How sweet." Making it quite clear that they were looking for a cold hearted bitch of an Ad Man and-since I write genre fiction- I'm not it....and they made it clear that, no matter how much I've written and supervised, I'll never be that CHB they were looking for and she walks me out-wishes me luck-telling me the job market is so bad right now- she may be out of a job soon...who knows when or if anyone will hire...

So, defeated, I hobble fourteen blocks back to the train station-still look fab-just have no feeling left in my feet-get on the train and make it home-

Reminds me of an old HeeHaw song..."Gloom, despair and agony on me....deep dark depression excessive misery...if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all....Gloom despair and agony on me..."

I think I'll hobble to the bathroom, run a hot bath and soak in lavender scented bubbles and drink something edgy like a gin martini.

Everything will look better tomorrow...

No comments: