Friday, September 5, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh, my...

Headline: Jobless Rate jumps to five year high of 6.1 Percent. 84,000 Jobs Lost.

Great. I'm sure these headlines sell papers and influence politics. But, let's not jump off the dead end. Being on the job hunt is sort of like being pregnant. Suddenly everyone has a horror story... two years to find work....too old at age 38... downsizing...mandatory retirement...standing in soup lines....selling apples for a dime on the street...

Makes me want to say screw it and jump out my window...except that the deck roof is two feet down and I'd probably just get a nasty bruise.

So, back to the job boards...I applied through a recruiting firm for a Marketing and Sales Manager position. A woman called me the next day. The first question she asked me was my salary requirements. I went low. She got huffy. "Well, that is way too much for this job!" "I have over ten years experience." "I'll put your requirements in your file. Good bye." Click.

Well, all right then...

I applied to another ad agency...I know, I know (see mad men post.) I should learn. But the job description is perfect for me. Still, I'm not sure I want to face another round of humiliation at the hands of an ass. I thought twice-then again before I applied. I have to remind myself that not everyone is an ass...

As for the contract job I was perfect for...(See benefits post.) I'm hearing crickets in the background...

And the job search goes on-I wonder what would happen if I started rewriting my resume using their exact job description...of course, I'd have to make up stories to match...

No comments: