Monday, December 29, 2008

Liar, liar

Sheesh- I am such a fraud. I got an e-mail from an old high school friend-she saw I was a "real" author and she was impressed. How is the rest of my life? She, of course, just celebrated her 25th anniversary-her oldest will graduate college in May and her youngest graduates high school in June-plus she has a new career...blah, blah.

When I wrote down the truth-that I can't live on my royalties-that I've been looking for a job for over a year- that my husband and I are separated but living in the same house-that my oldest kid is still living with me and on her fourth college-that my youngest kid is working two part time jobs and not going to college-but I still have all my teeth...

I thought to myself-how pathetic can you get? And promptly deleted it.

After that I wrote in my e-mail that-yes, I am a "real" author my ninth book comes out in 2010. My kids are doing very well thank you-one works as a tutor in the math department-the other is traveling to Poland in the summer. Then asked- how are you? Heard any good gossip lately?

What I wrote wasn't a lie- but can be interpreted as we are doing so much better than reality. Big sigh.

The truth is how you spin it-just ask anyone in politics, history or religion... and no, I'm not going to a reunion anytime soon.

No comments: